Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Rules for Writers Chapter 17!!

This week I choose to write about chapter 17. Its title is Choose appropriate language. This caught my eye because I know im my own writing I use slang, and not the write use of language. It says when your writing in in a particular genre such as; reports, informal essays, memos, and so on, you should look at examples by experts in that field. A main point that they talked about was staying away from “jargons.” Which is a specialized language used among members of a trade, profession, or group. Jargon is mainly used to impress readers not to inform them. They are often hard to read and very wordy. They talked about avoiding invented words (also called neologisms) these are words that are to recently created to be part of standard English. For example, Bling and techno babble are invented words that might not last, and printout and flextime are no longer invented words, because hey have become standard English. Stay away from slang, regional expressions and nonstandard English. Slang is informal and used by teenagers, hip hop artists, or football fans. Some slang words are; cool, neat, duh, phat, awesome, and sweet. Chapter 17 talked about avoiding sexist language, which stereotypes or demeans men or women. Using nonsexist language is a matter of courtesy or respect. Also I learned to revise language that may offend groups of people, or negative stereotypes like; “drives like a teenager” or haggard as an old crone.” avoid these types of writing habits to stay positive.
I learned some very helpful tips in this chapter became like I said before I know for a fact that I use slang words when I write. And I learned a lot of ways to stay away from that so this is definitely help me with my future writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment